Where the Bruised Cucumber meets the Sippy Cup!

A Loud Mama with a loud family, living imperfect lives glorified through God and breaking free of the bondage of politically correct Religion. We do things differently around the Viking Homestead, and hope that, by sharing our lives, we can help others feel more comfortable with their differences as well.


03 July, 2012

New Feature Time: Weekly Meal Plans

Alright, y'all!   As part of MY goal to get back to real foods and to get back in running form, I'm sharing my weekly meal plans, fitness goals(and accomplishments) and current training program.  Now, as everyone here knows by now, I'm a busy mom of 3.  I've got to come up with meals that will feed four hungry people(since Birdie only cares about what comes out of a boob or bottle and that will be it for at least the next 4 months!!) real, wholesome, nutritious food on a minimal budget.  Now, there's a LOT of debate out there and some Mama's are left feeling like they can't measure up so they throw in the towel and let their family eat whatever they like because of so much 'all or nothing' thinking.  This is not how it works at the Viking Homestead.  Every little change you can make is a step in the right direction.  You will NOT hear this Mama preach to you about how you need to go drop $300 a week at whole foods market(which, unfortunately, some foodie bloggers with 6 figure incomes might infer that, if you REALLY cared about your family, you would indeed do), as that is my food budget for 2 weeks!  That's right, at most, I can spend $150 a week to feed my family.  This amount might seem teeny to some and outrageous to others.  However, there are certain foods that most families would rely on to stretch their food budgets that are out of the question here.  Example:  Beans.  Cranky Pirate is allergic, so I don't bother buying them in bulk anymore.  I will buy a pound at the grocery store once in a while for the kids and I to eat, but I can't put them in main course dishes.  
Meal Plan 7/3-7/9

Breakfast:
Lunch:
  • Leftovers
  • Smoothies
  • Stir Fry with Cauliflower Fried Rice
  • Homemade "lunchables" made with various organic cheeses, meats, rice crackers, fruit, and gluten free tortillas
Dinner
  • 7/3-BBQ Chicken Potatoes-Shredded roasted chicken with homemade barbecue sauce, served one baked potatoes with all the fixin's! I usually serve a salad alongside this to get all our veggies in.
  • 7/4-Cheesy Dunkers-a favorite of my kiddos!  Grilled mozzarella cheese sandwiches(homemade gluten free bread, organic cheese), served with 'pizza soup'(homemade pizza sauce, applegate farms pepperoni, cheese on top).  So easy, and the kids love it so much they are actually quiet for a few minutes!
  • 7/5-Chicken Stir Fry with Cauliflower Fried Rice
  • 7/6-Grain Free Banana Pancakes served with Eggs and Bacon
  • 7/7-Gluten Free pancakes with Eggs and Bacon
  • 7/8-Roast Chicken with raw honey glazed carrots and root veg/cauliflower Mash
  • 7/9-Beef Stir Fry with Cauliflower Fried Rice
Drinks on offer are always the same: Coffee, Tea and Water.  Snacks are cut up fruits and vegetables, and homemade yogurt or pudding pops.  Also, I will make a batch of no-bake granola bars, granola balls and chocolate covered raw cake balls every week or so for snacks or to grab on the go.  For the grocery trip to purchase the needs for this menu, I spent under $140.00.  

I'm also starting up running again.  I've run on and off for years!  I LOVE running but haven't done it seriously since I had my first child almost 9 years ago!!  Its time to change that.  So, I've registered for not 1, not 2, but 4(thats right 4!!) 5k's.  Its a good starting point and now I'm feeling more motivated than ever to get back in shape.  Now, when I was running, I never stopped at running to meet my fitness needs.  I also added in a good weight workout and pilates to build muscle and flexibility in addition to the endurance from running. That is the plan now.  Walking daily(gotta work my way back into running!), weights and pilates on alternating days.  Even if its only 15 minutes, its about little changes and building a HABIT of fitness.  I'm so excited about this new journey and can't wait to share more with you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment