Where the Bruised Cucumber meets the Sippy Cup!

A Loud Mama with a loud family, living imperfect lives glorified through God and breaking free of the bondage of politically correct Religion. We do things differently around the Viking Homestead, and hope that, by sharing our lives, we can help others feel more comfortable with their differences as well.


21 May, 2011

Mama Viking revamps the food pyramid!

So, this picture is NOT an example of good nutrition by ANY standards! Then again, neither is most of what the average American eats on a daily basis. What is unfortunate is that MOST Americans TRY to eat right by following the food pyramid. The problem with this food pyramid is that, if you follow it, I believe you are setting yourself up for a whole host of health problems, the least of which is obesity. NO ONE needs 9-11 servings of grains a day! Do you actually realize how MUCH food that is? Its ALOT! The food pyramid advocates eating far too many of the wrong foods. At the recommendation of several doctors and looking into it further, I've come up with a 'new' food pyramid that fits in with a)the recommendations of my doctors and b)my need to cut gluten out of my diet. So, I don't have a graphic....because I'm working on getting a nice one, but I DID promise a post, so a post you shall have!! At the most basic level, I turned the pyramid upside down! On the standard pyramid, it calls for 9-11 servings of grains a day. I have replaced that with leafy green and non starchy vegetables. The next tier is for protein! Organic, pastured meat, organ meats, seafood, non-homogenized milk and dairy products and beans. The next level is good fats including olive oil and avocados. The next level is fruit. The final part of the pyramid is grains. We do include them daily in our meal plan, but at 1-2 servings per day. I'll be back on Monday with a new post...and hopefully to find a few more followers. Once I get to 50 followers there will be a giveaway to celebrate...and it may be LUSH-tastic! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment